Wednesday 21 March 2018

UFO update

Happy to link up with Jo’s UFO challenge to report progress is being made on some UFOs. Specifically the 4 Patch Revisited has it’s first brown border attached.  Bonnie had done this as scrappy strips of all sorts of browns, I chose to go with a constant.
2018-03-21 09.50.15 Mostly because I didn’t want to take the time to piece all those strips. This is called Sugar Dot and is old stash I’ve had around for several years. If I go back through the thrift store postings I probably would find that’s where it came from. ( yes from back in Jan 2014) There is still enough of it left ,I think ,for the next brown border. In the mean time, still sewing together the pieced checkerboard border.
And the second success story, the Irish Chain hand piecing project I was finishing for my Sister In Law, finished and ready to bind.
2018-03-21 09.48.212018-03-21 09.49.36





On this one I was only doing the outer red border. She was in full agreement with leaving the outer green border blank. I think I should stitch in  the ditch between the red and green to hold the batting in place, then on to the binding. Her mother had two strips of it already cut in the storage container but they are 3 inch strips. Not a size I’ve used for binding before, and measuring the remaining fabric, I’m not sure I would get enough 3 inch strips from it. So going to go with 2.5 inch, folded in half, sewn down and folded over, it will give a durable edge.
Now, do I dare machine sew between the borders ? Or should I go back to hand quilting it. That would be so tedious to have to keep moving the hoop but it would keep the authenticity of the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment