Monday 2 June 2014

Spring Shop Hop Goodies

This weekend was the spring shop hop locally. For the past few years this has been a small affair as there have only been three shops locally. But they teamed up with three shops a little farther away and it seemed to be more traffic. I sure hope it worked for them. Personally, I still only shopped at the three locals, I just couldn’t fit an hour drive on the highway into our plans, and I wasn’t up to going it alone.
006
I went with a shopping list and managed to stick to it , mostly. And spaced it out so I was only at one shop per day.
Bee
The first one, called Bee  - Modern Fabrics. White on white and some black/white’s. A whole 4 metres of the white on white because I”m thinking of doing another Film at Five.
Each store had a free gift and a free pattern. Bee’s was a bamboo reusable shopping bag. (coincidently with their name on it).
kindred

Saturday I nipped over to the shop in my town, Kindred Spirits. Who give a nice new ruler as a gift and a neat chevron pattern. I went off the list there and picked up a flannel on the clearance rack that I thought would work for some backs I need. Plus two batiks that were on my list.

Qultng Bee And Sunday, we drove out to the farthest away. They give a nice pair of scissors. I picked up a few supplies there as well as fabric but will be returning some. The black and white I grabbed without looking closely and has a tan in it as well. And the pink thread that I grabbed without careful consideration turns out to be polyester intended to be embroidery or top-stitching,  I think, not the quilting thread I wanted.
And this is why the batiks and black & whites. Bonnie’s Jellybean Blast block from the vol.7 of Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks magazine.
 007
The full quilt is now on the cover of the latest edition of the magazine, so I pulled out the 100 blocks mag and started a test block with some of the batiks I was given for mother’s day. Love it, but the jelly roll didn’t have enough variety in the purple or yellow.
And what about the Kissing Fish pattern that I was making with them?
005
I have gotten this far with it. Just not loving it and decided to call it a day and put it together ( blocks aren't sticking very well to the new design wall). Using 4.5" HST for the edges. The original pattern called for a complicated two block arraignment, with squares sticking out the edges and then trimming them down, not happening. Just sewing the rows together on the diagonal.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, I made Kissing Fishes, and I agree with your assessment. It is unnecessarily complicated, and those bias outer edges are totally uncalled for. I was pleased with the final results, but I doubt I ever make it again.

    Good job on the freebies at the shop hop! And for staying (close) on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty mary, love the colors....if you don't like it why not donate it to a shelter or something, a kid would love it!

    ReplyDelete