Monday 29 January 2018

Monday Update Jan 29th

Another week gone and very little progress on the string project.
Most of my sewing time was spent on the two quilts I was quilting and binding. A great deal of time in the binding, or more precisely the choosing of fabric for the binding. Coupled with the calculations and rigmarole of making continuous bias binding.  I know everyone has pretty well switched to the doubled over non-bias strip method. And I was doing that for years, including hand-sewing down the back.  But I have a binding attachment that I feel I should be using and I have discovered that it works better with the bias binding rather than WOF strips. Thus I am working at improving my skill with both the cutting and the sewing of the bias strips.
So here’s one of the finished quilts, the Bricks and Stepping Stones from Bonnie’s free patterns. Which I've shown several times but this is it, done, finished, out of here. Label on, binding on, just needs a good wash and it's ready to go.

2018-01-28 15.29.31 While I was doing all this, no string piecing got done.

20180123_171621And when I did try and squeezing in a few quick trips under the needle, I kept getting thread jams. Which probably means it is time to pull this machine out of the cabinet and get it cleaned.
Looking over at it now, I noticed a block that I did finish this week. However it wasn’t a string unit. It’s a totally new project, the Farmer’s Wife Quilt.  And I have three of them done.
2018-01-25 20.47.24
So that’s it. Now to link up with Jo and see what’s going on over there. 20180123_171757

No comments:

Post a Comment