Wednesday 31 January 2018

A UFO Finish at last

At long last my neutral Jacob’s Ladder project is a finished quilt. Still a few threads to weave in or cut off. And the top of the label to hand sew. But those are the fiddly bits and hardly count.
Looking back to see now long this has been a work in progress, it really started when I purchased some beautiful Japanese yarn-dyed fabrics at a guild meeting. That would have been in February, 2015. That was the winter that I tried to take part in a quilt guild only to discover that I spent more time buying fabric at meetings than sewing.
They didn’t seem to have get-togethers where they just sewed on their own projects, instead had classes in Art quilts and stuff I wasn’t interested in plus days of charity sewing which ended up being on days I was working . 
But back to this bundle of fabric. I tracked down where it had come from,  https://www.kallistiquilts.com/. And was very pleased to see she is still selling this fabric bundle, although the price has gone up. Maybe I’ll splurge someday a buy some more.Japanesefateights
I picked them up thinking of doing Swing Your Partner from Scraps and Shirttails.  However, after starting to cut the first few blocks, I realized I had made a significant error. The pattern called for fat quarters of 16 fabrics, I had something called a fat eighth.  Not enough fabric to get all the pieces for the block.  And now had a whole bunch of it cut into 2 inch and 3.5 inch strips and triangles.  I needed another pattern that would use those sizes and shapes.
They sat for almost a year before I found a use for them. The 8 inch Jacob’s Ladder block uses the same pieces only not as many. So I was able to repurpose what I already had cut and sewn. Did that. Not enough blocks for a decent size top. Project sat some more while I did other things. Then along came the Quilted Twins with their taupe bundle. And in no time at all, (well a couple of months since I see that I started posting about it in October), a finish.
2017-10-26 14.39.49Trying to use every bit of these Japanese fabrics, I even pieced together leftovers.
2018-01-28 15.30.57



20180131_154715
It’s going to be hard to part with this. But I can’t keep them all and I have a good home in mind for it. A close friend lost her father last year and I had promised to make a shirt quilt with her father’s shirts. However all he had left were the knit, golf- T’s that wouldn’t make anything remotely interesting.
So I’m going t20180131_154729o present this to her instead. She has commented several times, on Facebook pictures of the progress, how much she likes this so I know it will be appreciated.
I get to feel good twice, once for the finish  and second for making a friend happy.  Totally warm and fuzzy.
Now to link up: Jo's UFO challenge

5 comments:

  1. I love your quilt, it's beautiful in taupes. Someday I want to make a quilt in this colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. The more I see of the quilts made with plaids the more I like them. Yours is lovely and I'm sure your friend will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment. I makes my day brighter

      Delete
  3. Yahoo...I really like this a lot. Somehow it's soft but manly too.

    ReplyDelete